Friday, October 8, 2010

Flooding delayed trim

We had some epic rains here in eastern North Carolina last week, washing out many roads. Unfortunately Scott was unable to make it up here without tacking on an extra three hours to his already exhaustive trip up here.

The vet saw Buttercup yesterday for her fall shots/coggins, and reported that she is in great health, her hooves look fantastic and she's a little snot. Well, the last part is a given. The diva has been on vacation so long now, she's bound to make lots more demands. Boy is she going to have a rude awakening in February! 

Hopefully her hooves will get done Monday or Tuesday of next week, but things are still up in the air. 

Stay tuned! I promise more hoof pics ... eventually!

That brings up an interesting point though. I've had this happen before under different circumstances where the farrier simply couldn't make it to the appointment. One had me wait nearly two and half weeks! 

What do you do in that situation?

Typically if I love my farrier, I will wait, even at my horse's expense. I learned my lesson a long time ago when this happened and I figured "What the heck, this farrier here won't do any harm." Wrong. He completely undid my farrier's hard work. I'd rather her be uncomfortable for a few days than have to rework the balance in her hoof, if we have the choice. 

1 comment:

  1. I learned how to trim on my own when that happened all too often ;)

    Good luck and hope you dry out soon!