Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hoof update 4-26-11


(My husband and Buttercup share a rare moment together)

Got to see Buttercup this past Saturday. She is looking very good under the watchful eye of Scott! Her hooves are steadily improving and her weight looks fabulous. One of the biggest things I notice about her hooves is the straightening of the coronary band. A smooth, straight coronary band is a sign of a healthy hoof.

While Bud isn't on a specific cycle right now, she does look like she's ready for a touch-up. Her sole was pretty dead so I scraped some of that off for the pictures.

Left:



Not too much longer now! Grow, baby, grow!


While these bars are not ideal, I'm still pleased with her hoof overall. I will address the bars later in the post.

Right:

(taken on a weird angle and not straightened)



So about the bars, they are being taken back slowly over time. Having worked with them myself, I understand why Scott hasn't just wacked them back to the collateral groove. They aren't so much folded over the sole, as pushed against the sole. As in, there isn't sole underneath the overgrown bar ... I may just be learning about hooves but I can't see any benefit in opening her hoof where there is no sole underneath.

I've never seen bars quite like hers and I've been working with quite a few hooves lately. I have a lot of questions as to why they're like this and if this is a common affliction or due to her genetics. But the bars are literally spread and up to the point where you see them in the pics, below the sole plane.

Here is the best way for me to describe it:


Top left is a normal hoof showing the frog, bars (red) and sole (yellow). Top right is a hoof with overgrown bars that are laid over the sole. Bottom center is how I feel Buttercup's lay. Now it could very well be that there is sole underneath those bars, but because it is below the sole plane, it doesn't feel that way.

Anyway, I think we can't get much better, other than continuing to grow out separation, until the bars are normalized. I'm not sure if they can be normalized, but remember the bars have a lot to do with hoof health and a nice straight coronary band. I guess time will tell while she's in the expert hands of Scott.

In other news, check out the Chronicle of the Hoof facebook page and post your favorite silly horse picture!

5 comments:

  1. Your patients and compassion are admirable. Your horse is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking better, I see what you mean about the bars, you are going to have to post more pictures when they look more "normal" do you think her hoof conformation is weird and that is something that set her up for some of the issues?

    Is hubby doing the brain sucker routine in the last one?, Bud doesn't look impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danger, I wish I knew what was going on with those hooves! lol But I tend to think that it is a combination of environment/past trimmings and conformation. Time will tell how it will improve.

    And at least he's doing the brain sucker routine to her and not to me! lol

    Bo, thanks! See you soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any hoof will grow crazy bars like this if left alone too long. Most domesticated horses don't get enough movement over abrasive footing to wear them off.

    There is sole under there but it is very, very thin. Keep doing what you're doing- take off a little at a time and hopefully that sole will get enough "breathing room" to thicken up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, smaz! You're probably right about the thin sole. Just gotta keep playing this waiting game!

    ReplyDelete